Sunday, July 13, 2014

Beginning Treatment

Last week was an full of emotional highs and lows.  I think we finally have an understanding of how Calleigh's treatment plan will play out, but the reality of it all is also finally setting in.  We were told to cut her hair short because her radiation treatments may make it fall out.  That was certainly a tough day for her and for me!  I am so grateful for our stylist Melody who got her a doll and styled her hair just like Calleigh's.  I'm sure she feels such a loss of control as we tell her what she must do and drag her from place to place.  We also told her about her condition after meeting with radiation oncology.  The conversation happened over cookies and we were open and honest with her.  We used the words cancer, port, and chemo.  We explained that her hair will fall out and she wanted to see pictures of other little girls without hair.  She says she does not want a hat or a wig which is not suprising!  I told her she could wear a crown everyday if she wished.  She wants to wear a headband with a bow, so we picked out several soft headbands and two new flowers to wear on them.  Her resiliency amazes me.  It makes me able to hold back my emotions in front of her.
This week we have another set of appointments.  Monday is an audiogram and vision screening to establish baseline levels.  Tuesday they will make her mask for radiation and Wednesday she will have a spinal tap.  She will start everyday radiation treatments on July 23rd and will have to be sedated each day for them.  She will finish these treatments the week of Labor Day.  Please pray that The Lord will place a hedge of protection around her body during these treatments to minimize the effects of radiation.  The side effects of radiation are frightening and I am having such a hard time feeling ok about them.  But the side effect that I am most grateful for is survival, so the benefit in this case outweighs the risk.
I thank God everyday that my little girl is here and I am praying that she emerges on the other side happy, whole, and healthy.  I've been reading Hebrews and everyday God is showing me something to get me through that day.  Hebrews 10:23 sticks out to me right now: Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for He who promised is faithful.  We are claiming that God has control of this situation and placing our faith in Him to restore Calleigh to health.  

3 comments:

  1. I think this is the hardest blog to read so far! I love this princess so very much and I know she will get through this! I admire you and your words Brianna! Praying daily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Briana.... I know that the Lord has you all in the palm of His hands. The way in which you are dealing with each difficult step of this journey, is proof that our God walks beside you. We are lifting your sweet Calleigh up in our prayers, asking our Lord for total healing and comfort and strength. We are praying for all of you as well, asking God to give you peace and guidance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Briana, we will be praying for y'all as Calleigh begins her treatment. Please let me know if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete