Saturday, June 28, 2014

Grateful

My plan for summer 2014 involved sun, fun, and Disney. Calleigh became sick with what we assumed was a stomach bug on June 18th. This continued on the 19th and then she seemed better, although wiped out on the 20th. We went to a race that night and celebrated a victory. Saturday the 21st she slept late and then spent all day playing with her best friends. Sunday she started vomiting again. We took her to the evening clinic and left with inconclusive results. The vomiting continued so I took her to her pediatrician as soon as we woke Monday. We were admitted for dehydration, but despite fluids and meds, she still vomited and became more lethargic as the day wore on. Tuesday the doctor felt that her care would be better managed in Greenville. By the time we arrived shortly after 11:00 am, she was nonresponsive. They rushed her to CT and 30 minutes after we set foot in the door we were told she had a brain mass. I think God had prepared me for this. I knew it on the ride over and when they told me I felt no shock or surprise. Her symptoms were due to the position of the mass blocking fluid from draining. They needed to insert a drain into her brain quickly to remove the pressure. Once this was done, she was alert, speaking, and eating. It was a dramatic turn around. Many would say what's to be thankful for so here's my list. (Because I love a list)
1.  The Nurse Practitioner admitted her Monday.
2.  The pediatrician who saw her in the hospital moved her to Greenville.
3.  SHE IS ALIVE!  We were told later she probably only had one hour left to live.
4.  My sister works in neuro trauma in Greenville and knows the doctors personally.
5. The mass was operable.
6.  We have so many people covering us in prayer and support
7.  The mass was completely removed!
8.  I can hold her and tell her I love her.
I give God the glory for all these things and I know He has a plan for all of this.  Your prayers and God's grace were a buffer around my heart and although it shattered, He and you were the glue that held m e together. I can never thank you enough for everything you've said and done for us.  I love my family, friends, church, and colleagues so much and you came together as one to pick me up when I was defeated and discouraged. Today I smile because God is working here in me and I know He will use this for His Glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment